Blue Ridge Farm History

Lord Avie Barn

Between Middleburg and Upperville lies Blue Ridge Farm, an historic property that has functioned as a thoroughbred horse-breeding farm since 1903.  Fountain Hill House, situated on the property, is a stone dwelling erected circa 1791 by Joshua Fletcher on land originally owned by John Carter.  A stone smokehouse, built in the same period, and later 19th-century outbuildings surround the home.

The property also holds the Blue Ridge Farmhouse, which functions as the main house today.  Commissioned by Rear Admiral Cary T. Grayson, it was designed in 1933-34 by Waddy Butler Wood as a Colonial Revival manor.  Blue Ridge Farm has been in the Grayson family since 1928 and may be the oldest, continuously-operated horse-breeding facility in Virginia.



 Close Window